Warpgates, plus a little explanation....

All the news that's worth printing.
Karride
Site Admin

Warpgates, plus a little explanation....

Post by Karride » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:53 pm

So warpgates are now working great! I have made a gate network from 2,2,2 that goes from -200,-210,-200 to 200,210,200 in 50 sector increments. The 210 is because 200,200,200 lands you in the middle of a sun, and I didn't think that would be a very nice place to put a warpgate :D
At the moment, I control all of these gates, but I'd love to hand some over to players to run and customize, as long as they agree to abide by a few simple rules. If you are interested, PM me here or send me an in-game message.

Also,I feel like a little explanation is needed about my habits as an admin. Firstly because as you may have noticed, our last news update was in September, and second, because I received a few rather.....shall we say, impassioned PM's here noting my absence on the server from time to time.

So a little about me, I'm in my 30's with a wife, two kids, and a full time job that does involve travel from time to time. I work in the IT industry, and back when Counter-Strike was a "big deal" I ran a 20 person server known as "The Gathering" for about two years with modest success, if I do say so myself.

Back when I had that server, I was in my 20's unmarried, and would pretty much play from the time I got home from work, until late into the night, and usually a fair amount of the day on weekends.
Now that I'm in my 30's with the above mentioned wife and children, my time to play games is usually limited to nighttime, after the kids are asleep but before me and the wife are ready to go to bed during the week. Weekends are usually spent with the kids.

Anyway, the point is that while I enjoy this game, and running the server, it is at the end of the day a game, and there are things that take priority over it, and there may be times that I am glacially slow at responding to an issue. Those who PMed me are right; There are going to be times when I am badly needed, but not there. All I can say is I will try to help you as soon as possible when I know there is a problem.

"But Karride" you say, "Why don't you give some other people admin so they can help too?" well, I want to, and I'm trying. Here is the problem though; I learned very early in my days as a Counter-Strike server admin, that just handing out admin rights to anyone was a *bad* idea, and that lesson has carried over into running this server. The problem I am having, is that about the time I've decided that someone on the server is worthy of being an admin......They stop playing on the server :cry:

So the best thing you can do, if you like the server, is to keep playing, and know that while I may not be on all the time, I will do my best to work through problems as fast as possible.

TL;DR I know, I'm not always around, be patient, I'm trying to find people that will make good admins.

One final note: Apparently "soon" there will be a universe update, which will I think include stations from the StarMade station contest. When that happens, there will be a universe reset.